I love burgers, and I especially love putting veggie burgers on top of salads for weekday lunches. Although I used to make my own, recently I’ve been taking the easy way out and buying frozen options at the grocery store. This recipe is incredibly easy, quick, and healthier than buying them at the store. I’m excited to be incorporating them back into my lunch repertoire!
Vegetarian Black Bean Burgers
1 can 15oz black beans
4 cloves garlic
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs chili pepper
1 tsp thai chili sauce
- If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet (it was raining so I baked mine).
- In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty (I ended up using a potato masher which cut my time in half).
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.
- If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side.